Friday, November 30, 2012

Gilgamesh Epic poem


“Why, O Gish, does thou run about?

The life that thou seekest, thou wilt not find.

When the gods created mankind,

Death they imposed on mankind;

Life they kept in their power.

Thou, O Gish, fill thy belly,

Day and night do thou rejoice,

Daily make a rejoicing!

Day and night a renewal of jollification!

Let thy clothes be clean,

Wash thy head and pour water over thee!

Care for the little one who takes hold of thy hand!

Let the wife rejoice in thy bosom!

“Wherever terror is to be faced,

Thou, forsooth, art in fear of death.

Thy prowess lacks strength.

I will go before thee,

Though thy mouth shouts to me: ‘thou art afraid to approach,’

If I fall, I will establish my name.”

“Thou art young, O Gish, and thy heart carries thee away,

Thou dost not know what thou proposest to do.”

“He is acquainted with the way, he has trodden the road

[to] the entrance of the forest.”

“Do not trust, O Gilgamesh, in thy strength!

Be warned(?) against trusting to thy attack!

The one who goes before will save his companion,84

He who has foresight will save his friend.85

Let Enkidu go before thee.

He knows the roads to the cedar forest;

He is skilled in battle and has seen fight.”

“Who is distinguished among the heroes?"

Who is glorious among men?

[Enkidu] is distinguished among heroes,

[Enkidu] is glorious among men.”

“Lions he attacked

Lions he overcame"

“On reaching the entrance of the mountain at night

I saw lions and was afraid."

"Aruru washed her hands, broke off clay,

threw it on the field

… created Enkidu, the hero, a lofty

offspring of the host of Ninib.”

“Tell me, my friend, tell me, my friend,

The law of the earth which thou hast

experienced, tell me,”

The mournful message comes back:

“I cannot tell thee, my friend, I cannot tell."